European Movement United Kingdom
The European Movement is a not-for-profit, independent, all party and grass roots organisation. We call for closer integration and co-operation at the EU level in areas where collective EU action can deliver better results than individual member states can when acting on their own.
We also want more powers to be given to the democratically elected institutions of the EU and more popular involvement in its intergovernmental decision-making structures. A strong EU must have its people at the center of where decisions are made.
Britain’s place is at the heart of the EU, working for an effective and efficient Union, prosperous at home and confident at the international level, able to defend the collective interest of its member states and deliver benefits for all their citizens.
The European Movement has a range of activities, including the following:
- Education information for schools and universities
- Media briefings for journalists, to correct mistakes and counter anti-European bias
- Politics we challenge Britain’s political leaders to put the pro-European case
- Business information for companies about the benefits and opportunities of Europe
- Local branches European Movement groups are active throughout the UK
- Conferences events for members for debate and discussion
- Publications the latest thinking and argument about Europe, in print and online
- Young European Movement an independent youth and student campaign with activities throughout Europe
- European Movement International an international pro-European network, active in more than 40 countries
- President: Paddy Ashdown
- Chairperson: Richard Corbett
London SW1P 2PD